Sunday, May 16, 2010

After Life

There are different types of Atheists. There are some who simply dismiss the possibility of God, then there are some who just do not believe in God because God has not been proven to exist. I had someone ask me if there could possibly be an after life and a God.I thought about this for a while and figured I would write about it too.
I don't claim to know if there is a God or not. I also know that in my opinion there is no proof of God or an after life. There is no proof that we will meet up with our loved ones who have passed away and there is no proof we carry on in any way. Again this is not to say that doesn't happen but from what I have learned so far.....it doesn't.
Maybe we will learn as we go along whether our spirit goes on, maybe we are not meant to know, or maybe we lack the ability to understand the full scope of reality. I don't know. Now it may seem pretty bleak so far, well I don't see it that way. I see it like this...
It really doesn't matter if there if there is a life after the one we have here on earth.
We should live the life we have here the best we can and try not to take for granted the life we know exists. Love our family and friends while they are with us because we never know when the time with them will be done. If we do this then any after life will be a bonus if there is none, it wont matter.

3 comments:

  1. First I have to say it is a personal choice. I do not understand how a person turns to another expecting answers. That's a heavy burden to lay on someone. It's something that someone has to come to terms with on their own. I am an Atheist as well, but that means to me there is no God....Does that mean there's no "afterlife"? I don't know, and don't claim to know, but can't there be the possibility of a "afterlife" without "God"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to believe in "God" to believe in an afterlife=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reap thanks for this Blog, good subject, great blog. I would love to share my perspective with you. The way I see it, we humans think we are so special, that frontal lobe gave us the wonderful capacity to think ahead and say DAMN I'm going to die one day. Here you have a species so afraid of dying that they invent an afterlife, and even some that know there is no evidence for keep it open as a possibility. Why? We all came from single celled organisms, every creature on this Planet from human to bird to bugs, and yet we humans think we are so special that we ponder on whether or not we live on. Does anyone think about a roach’s afterlife when they whack them with their shoes? There is no evidence for it, right? Most people dismiss that possibility...but we humans, we live on or may live on?

    I see this subject the same way I see “God.” There is no reason to believe. Enough said. I shouldn’t have to explain that “well there is a possibility.” You know what? Anything is possible when you place it outside the scope of science and what we understand now etc. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s made up and based on nothing more than ideas with the purpose of appeasing our fear of death. I agree with Reap, our focus should be on the now, this life, not some hoped for afterlife.

    Reminds me of the famous words of Carl Sagan, which I named my blog after:“Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.”

    ReplyDelete